Attached are details of two proposed large events that are being planned for Brockwell Park next summer. Those who use the park and live closer than we do are concerned for the following reasons:
Together with other planned events, such as the Lambeth Country Show and the world Cycling Revival ( http://cyclingrevival.com ) this will form a virtually continuous stream of large scale outdoor events in this firmly residential area.
The noise from existing events in this Park ( including an electronic music festival last summer) causes considerable upset as it carries across gardens and into homes, especially in the summer months when people are enjoying being outdoors most.
The events include music into the late evening (11pm). Again this is entirely inappropriate for a residential area. Many children will be undertaking public exams and school work during the proposed June event. The increased pressure on parking in residential streets and public transport will be considerable. Local trade in the Herne Hill area will be adversely affected as locals stay away. Traders are already adversely affected by works around Herne Hill Station. The pressure on policing and safety will be unacceptable. Of particular concern are personal safety and drug availability. The disruption to roads during the setup, festival itself and clear up will put immense pressure on busy routes through Herne Hill, Brixton and Tulse Hill. The limitation on access to significant parts of this public amenity in the light spring and summer months for local families seems to be against the public interest, especially the young and those who do not have access to gardens or green spaces of their own.
Should you wish to have a voice on these events, the planning applications are under consideration by Lambeth and you can influence the outcome in several other ways:
- Email as part of the community engagement process BrockwellParkCommunityPartners@gmail.com
- Sign the change. org petition:
- Sign the Brockwell Tranquility pledge http://www.brockwellstreets.org
- Lobby Lambeth Councillors – SWinifred@lambeth.gov.uk also Cllr Freda Cowell and Cllr Anna Birley
- Lobby Dulwich Councillors – Jane Lyons, Michael Mitchell and Anne Kirby: http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/mgMemberIndex.aspx?FN=WARD&VW=TABLE&PIC=1
- Join the Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/797965553719266/about/
- Lobby Herne Hill Forum, Herne Hill Society and The Dulwich Society